Thursday 29 October 2020

A year in my EUAID life


 







One of my favorite things when I reach a milestone is look back and do a revision. Go back in time and recollect the first memories of places and streets where I used to get lost and now are so familiar to me, or the first impressions of people who now are family more than friends. I like to look at things that now come easy, but took effort to achieve. 


The specific milestone is the first year in Istanbul.  


I walk though the streets of my neighborhood Balat and everything looks homely and familiar, I know the shopkeepers, my neighbors sometimes share some food with me (I got some great food during Ramadan 😁). Now I can have basic conversations in Turkish and, not a bit shocker for who knows me well, I know everything about Turkish and Syrian food and all the best places for food around the city. I feel home and it feels really good. 





Also, when I look back I feel so glad I was deployed as EUAID volunteer, it has been one of the most formative years of my life, both on a personal and professional level. I gained so many new competences and discovered things about myself that I didn't know, like a passion for graphic design and that I love taking pictures to express myself and the work SPI is carrying on.


I am glad I took part in the pre-departure training, which provided so many useful tips and knowledge which really came handy, especially during this weird 2020. It gave me tools to work in stressful situations and develop resilience, which was very much needed, especially at the beginning of the pandemic, where many changes came all together and forced us to face and adapt to a new reality.


And I am glad I became part of Small Projects Istanbul's team, especially during this weird year, which put many obstacles on our path, but it also became an opportunity to find innovative solutions to thrive.

 



I have to say, I feel very lucky my job was not disrupt by working mainly from home and I still can safely participate in some of the activities of the community center, which has been amazing and I am so grateful for that as well.


For sure, volunteering took a even more important meaning during these times and it highlighted the importance of all the values that it represents. Supporting and helping one another has become even more important and it can help us feeling less isolated and alone and the concepts of empathy and understanding are standing out in a time that we are all collectively living through insecurity and uncertainty. 


Now the first year has passed and I will start focusing on the future and see what's it will hold. I am optimistic they will be good months, because one thing I have learned it's that you can always find happiness and joy, even while surfing through adversities. 




 



No comments :

Post a Comment